Friday, January 3, 2014

Stepping Out of the Familiar

I used to think No Plan, No Problem, but I have given up that attitude.  Well, I didn't give it up entirely because now I seem to have too many plans just in case the first one, or the second one, or...doesn't work, and that puts me right back into the Land of Chaos. When I get like this I start thinking:  What do I really want?  Why does it seem like I am never completely satisfied?  Over the years I have been reading and soul-searching and I think I have things figured out.  Some people are just born explorers and when they land in one area they want to spread their wings and move to another.  Actually, we are all born to travel even though many rarely leave their home towns. During my seeking knowledge from books and introspection, I discovered that I now have another favorite book. My first favorite was and always will be Through the Looking Glass, by Lewis Carroll but I have added another book to the shelf, The Way of the Traveler by Joseph Dispenza.
While reading The Way of the Traveler...I rediscovered that a good way to think of life is to think of each day as a day of travel.  Each day of travel is travel to a new place no matter how close to home or how far away.  Well, not to a new place, maybe just to the same old places but when done with intention, the same old journey becomes new.  It adds an effervescence, but it also adds more personal responsibility and more challenge and the addition of responsibility means that a plan needs to be made. 

I left Anchorage on December 22nd to go back to Seattle for the holidays. During my visit I had to exercise caution and patience because just hours before I was scheduled to board the plane, I injured my foot.  I thought it was broken so when I arrived in Seattle, I went to the Emergency Room.  They x-rayed my foot and told me it was badly bruised but not broken.  My injury slowed me down but it didn't stop me from following the plans already made.  Monday:  lunch at a vegetarian Chinese restaurant, the Nutcracker Ballet, dinner at the Steelhead Diner.  Tuesday was a day of rest except for dinner at McCormick and Schmick's. Wednesday (Christmas) dinner with Nathan and Melanie, and then; a few dinners out, a couple of movies, a doctor's visit, a little shopping, New Year's Lunch with Nathan and Melanie (Dec. 31st) and then a 3:15 AM wake-up call for my January 1st 6 AM flight back to Anchorage.

Wednesday, January 1, 2014
My flight went very smoothly and we arrived about 15 minutes ahead of schedule.  I had a carry on suitcase and a camera back-pack.  Two large suitcases were waiting at the baggage claim for me.  No problem because with the use of a cart all will be easily handled; however, I forgot to get cash before I boarded the plane and I need cash for the cart; or so I thought.  I limped to baggage and asked a couple where they got their cart and they told me they found it out by the curb and there was also another.  Feeling lucky, I went outside and there it was a beautiful, abandoned cart; my problem was solved.  I waited for my bags and then I waited for my ride.  

Marie arrived and took me to her house where I had a couple of cups of coffee and then spent the rest of the day relaxing, well sleeping.  I woke up around 7:00 PM and had more coffee and watched a couple of movies with Marie.  We watched The Holiday and The Stone's Christmas.  Very relaxing because I didn't have to do a lot of deep thinking.  

Thursday, January 2, 2014
I had no plans for the day so I decided to drive to Downtown Anchorage.  It is only about 1.5 miles from where I am living but since my foot is not completely healed I put on my hiking boots and grabbed my slippers (just in case the boots became injuriously uncomfortable, and drove to the 5th Avenue Mall.  I parked in the parking garage off E Street and then started my walk.  I wanted to see how far I could walk before my foot became a bother.

No real destinations but a loosely made plan.  I headed towards the Westmark Hotel on the corner of 5th Avenue and G Street.  My intention was to see Tony, the manager.  I had applied for a Front Desk Position in December but didn't get it because I was leaving for my 10-day visit to Seattle, but he told me to contact him when I returned to Anchorage.  And, as a result of my visit I have an appointment with him on Monday, January 6th.

I headed back towards the mall, passed Starbucks and went to Town Square Park to take some photos of the remains of the New Year's Eve Celebration.  



The Theme must have been New York City because there were some reliefs of sky scrapers carved into ice blocks and an ice replica of the Statue of Liberty. 




I took some pictures and then doubled-back to Starbucks for a Skinny Peppermint Latte and a Cranberry Bliss Bar.  I figured taking away some of the latte calories by making it a skinny would cancel out some of the calories of the Bliss Bar.  Both were delicious.






Next, back to the mall where I purchased two shirts and ties for Tim at Penney's, and then the ever-popular search for my car.  This time I thought there would be no search but I was talking on the phone with John, my son and wasn't paying attention so I didn't walk far enough and didn't find my car on the first try.  I told John that I would call him back and returned to Point One in order to get a fresh start.  Minutes later I was clicking the button that unlocked my door.  I called John back and we talked for a little bit before I returned to my temporary home.

The day was full and I am grateful for the many gifts that I received, and as for tomorrow, that is another journey.  


Friday, January 3, 2014

Today was an new day; therefore, it was a new journey.  I spent most of the day doing little chores at home and then I headed to Carr's Grocery for the ingredients for basic vegetable soup.  It was snowing and the roads were a little slick, so I took my time and was extra careful.  I found everything I needed for the soup and then added a few little extras for snacking.  I also helped a man find some soup that he was having difficulty locating.  Drove home.  Arrived safely.  Went to the kitchen immediately, and started making the soup.  The soup was healthy and delicious and made for a very satisfying dinner, and now, I am going to relax or maybe I will do some packing because tomorrow I move to where I am house-sitting for three months.



Happy Trails, until we meet again.










No comments:

Post a Comment